Read Write Inc. Programme
At Saint Wilfrid’s Primary School we believe that reading is one of the most important life skills that we can teach our children. We are fully committed to getting every one of our children through the reading gate as quickly and as efficiently as is possible.
We teach with fidelity to the Read, Write Inc. (RWI) programme in a whole school approach to the teaching of phonics. This is a systematic way of teaching synthetic phonics and is a highly successful way of ensuring that children learn to read and write quickly and confidently.
The five key principles that underpin the teaching in the Read Write Inc. Programmes are:
- Participation – our teaching strategies ensure that all children participate fully in the whole lesson – there is no chance for children to lose concentration and miss key elements of the teaching
- Praise – children work together, as partners, taking turns to teach and praise one another and they are motivated by the focused praise they receive from teachers and teaching assistants
- Pace – a lively pace keeps all the children fully engaged
- Purpose – teachers know the purpose of every activity and how it leads into the next
- Passion – it is easy for teachers to be passionate about their teaching because they see their children make such rapid progress.
Phonics is taught through daily delivery, along with identified individual support, ensuring that each child progresses through the program and succeeds in learning to read.
All children who are accessing the Read Write Inc. phonics programme take a RWI decodable story book to reinforce their learning at home. This reading book matches their current phonological awareness enabling them to consolidate and practice their reading skills at home.